Before you go through the steps to add ApprenNet as an external tool to your Blackboard course, be sure to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain an LTI key and secret. You need these to complete the steps below.
If you are using a self-hosted version of Blackboard Learn (as opposed to Blackboard CourseSites), you'll also want to make sure your system administrator has turned on LTI link functionality at the course level. If you are an IT systems administrator, you can view our ApprenNet LTI Tool Provider Configuration for Blackboard help document.
This video walks you through the process of creating an ApprenNet module using LTI. Below are detailed step by step instructions on the set up process.
Note: Your browser must accept third party cookies for LTI to work. You can usually change this setting in your browser's security options.
Once you have your key and secret, add ApprenNet as a Tool Provider:*Note: Due to a bug in Blackboard, your key and secret will not work unless they are entered exactly as they are written. Make sure to delete any additional spaces around the key and secret when entering them.
- From inside a content area, hover over Build Content and select Web Link.
- In the "Create Web Link" form, enter "ApprenNet" for the Name field and enter "https://www.apprennet.com/lti-launch" in the URL field.
- Select the This link is to a Tool Provider checkbox. A few configuration options should appear.
- If the Tool Provider Configuration XML field appears, copy-paste the following snippet of text (Note: if your system administrator has already configured ApprenNet at the global level, you can skip this step):
<cartridge_basiclti_link xmlns="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imslticc_v1p0" xmlns:blti="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsbasiclti_v1p0" xmlns:lticm="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imslticm_v1p0" xmlns:lticp="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imslticp_v1p0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imslticc_v1p0 http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/lti/ltiv1p0/imslticc_v1p0.xsd http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imsbasiclti_v1p0 http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/lti/ltiv1p0/imsbasiclti_v1p0.xsd http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imslticm_v1p0 http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/lti/ltiv1p0/imslticm_v1p0.xsd http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/imslticp_v1p0 http://www.imsglobal.org/xsd/lti/ltiv1p0/imslticp_v1p0.xsd"><blti:title>ApprenNet</blti:title><blti:description>ApprenNet is an e-learning company committed to helping you build engaging, interactive learning communities.</blti:description><blti:icon>https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets01.apprennet.com/lti-bounty/apprennet-icon-16x16.png</blti:icon><blti:launch_url>https://www.apprennet.com/lti-launch</blti:launch_url><blti:extensions platform="canvas.instructure.com"><lticm:property name="tool_id">apprennet</lticm:property><lticm:property name="privacy_level">public</lticm:property></blti:extensions><cartridge_bundle identifierref="BLTI001_Bundle"/><cartridge_icon identifierref="BLTI001_Icon"/></cartridge_basiclti_link>
- Enter your LTI key in the Key field and your LTI secret in the Secret field. (Note: if your system administrator has already configured ApprenNet at the global level, you can skip this step)
- Near the bottom of the form, select if you would like ApprenNet to open in a new window or to be displayed inside the Blackboard window.
- Select Submit at the bottom of the page.
Once you are redirected back to the content area, you should see a link to ApprenNet. You and your Learners can use this link to access ApprenNet.
Selecting this link will behave differently depending on your role in the course and wether or not you already have an ApprenNet account.
As an instructor, once you log in or create an account, ApprenNet will automatically create a Group for your course and enroll you as an Instructor.
When a Learner launches ApprenNet from this link they will be prompted to log in or sign up. Once they do so, they will automatically be added as a member of your course's ApprenNet Group.