To update roles with a CSV file, you will create a CSV file with a column containing the role or roles you want each user to have. Multiple roles can be assigned and should be separated by a pipe "|" character. See the attached roles_sample.csv file and screenshots for clarification.
- Be familiar with uploading a user CSV. If not, please review How do I add or update learners to my account with a CSV file?
- Understand how custom roles are created and assigned to users.
- Be familiar with the five default user roles.
- Create a CSV File with the Roles field
- Upload the CSV
- Create the ROLES field in Bridge and attach it to the appropriate column
- Confirm the upload by going to Manage Users page and verify that the roles are accurate
Create a CSV file that contains the roles for each user. The roles are case-sensitive. Multiple roles should be separated by a "|" pipe character. Do not include spaces between the role and the pipe character. The order of the roles doesn't matter, so Account Admin|Admin will produce the same results as Admin|Account Admin. In the example below, "Manager Enroll" is a custom role, which is different from the Manager role created by CSV upload.
Potential Pitfall: if the cell is blank, users that are currently admins will lose their previous permissions. To avoid this, make sure that all admins have the correct roles in the CSV file.
- In the Global Navigation menu, click the Application Switcher icon. Then, click the Admin menu option.
- Click Users and Permissions
- Click Add Users Via CSV
- Drag and drop the CSV created in step 1 into the upload box
- Create a new Bridge attribute pill called ROLES by clicking the NEW FIELD button.
- Drag the new ROLES pill to the column with the appropriate values
- Click Finish to finish uploading the CSV.
- Go to Manage Users in the Admin menu and verify that the user's roles have been added/updated.
- Find a user from the CSV that should have a new role and click Modify Roles. The user's role(s) should now be checked.