How do I install and configure the Bridge app in Salesforce?

Document created by Danny Haworth Employee on Jun 18, 2018Last modified by Danny Haworth Employee on Jul 11, 2018
Version 27Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Installing the Bridge app will allow your users to access their Bridge training from within Salesforce. It will bring in data on courses, enrollments, and users from Bridge directly into Salesforce. This app will not trigger training based on things that happen in Salesforce. In order to fully install this app, it will require some configuration by you and also by your Implementation Consultant.

Requirements

• Using Salesforce as the Identity Provider (IdP)
  • Already have enabled My Domain feature in Salesforce with a custom domain (this is important because other existing integrations could break if not addressed beforehand)

Process

1. Install the Bridge LMS app from AppExchange
  2. Enable the My Domain feature in Salesforce
  3. Create and Configure Connected App
  4. Update Remote Site Settings in Salesforce
  5. Setup Salesforce Single Sign-On

Wait until you receive API Key & API Secret

6. Resume Here: Configure Instructure Bridge App
  7. Granting User Permissions
  8. Final Checks

Install the Bridge LMS App from AppExchange

1. Navigate directly to the app listing for Bridge LMS (Learning Management System):
    https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3A00000EFoVCUA1

App listing page for Bridge LMS

2. Click the green Get It Now button.

3. Click the Log in to the AppExchange button

4. If you are prompted to log into your org, enter your Salesforce credentials. Use your production org’s credentials, even if you want to install the app into your Sandbox.

5. Choose to install the app in either your production org or a Sandbox.

6. Click on the checkbox next to “I have read and agree to the terms and conditions” and then click the blue Confirm and Install button.
    Confirm Installation Details screenshot

7. At this point, you may again be prompted to log into your org (production or sandbox)

8. Choose your install permission preferences. If you plan on configuring permissions for specific profiles after installation, you can opt to Install for Admins Only. If you already know which profiles should receive access, select Install for Specific Profiles. Alternately, if all users should have access to the imported Bridge data, click on the Install for All Users option.

Not sure? Choose Install for Admins Only.

Install Permission Preferences screenshot

9. You can check on the progress by navigating to Setup Home > Apps > Installed Packages. When the installation is complete, you’ll find the package named Instructure Bridge in the list of Installed Packages.

Installed Packages screenshot

Alternately, you’ll see the Instructure Bridge app within the App Launcher.

App Launcher screenshot

And you will see additional Bridge related navigation tabs in your org.

Bridge navigation tabs screenshot

Enable Salesforce “My Domain” Feature

1. In the upper right-hand corner, click the gear icon and choose Setup
    Setup screenshot

2. Within the Quick Find search bar within the setup menu on the left, search for My Domain and click the link under Company Settings.

My Domain screenshot

Note: If you do not have the My Domain feature enabled, you’ll see My Domain Step 1 with an explanation of the feature. For full details about the My Domain feature, please review this Salesforce Trailhead module: Customize Your Login Process with My Domain. Determine an appropriate domain name for your company and its org. Once selected and enabled, this step cannot be undone.

My Domain Step 1 screeshot

3. Enter the desired domain name in the input box near the bottom and click the Check Availability button. “bridgeappdemo” is the sample used for this documentation, as seen below. If prompted with the green Available message, click the Register Domain button. You’ll receive a message that the domain name is registering and that you will receive an email when complete.

My Domain Step 2 screenshot

4. Once you get the email, return to the My Domain setup page and you’ll see that the domain name is ready. Click the Log in button to begin enabling the feature.

My Domain Step screenshot

5. Click the Deploy to Users button. Take note of what your domain name is. You’ll need this when creating a new Connected App in the next section.

My Domain Step 4 screenshot

Create and Configure Connected App

Note: the following steps are written for the Lightning Experience in Salesforce. If you are using Salesforce Classic, from Setup, enter Apps in the Quick Find box, then select Apps (under Build | Create). Scroll down to the bottom of the page and under Connected Apps, click New and continue to Step 4 below.

1. In the upper right-hand corner, click the gear icon and choose Setup
    Setup screenshot

2. Within the Quick Find search bar within the setup menu on the left, search for App Manager and click on the link under Apps
    App Manager screenshot

3. Click on the New Connected App button in the upper right-hand corner.

App Manager screenshot

4. Fill in the Basic Information as follows:

New Connected App screenshot
    • Connected App Name: Instructure Bridge
    • API Name: Instructure_Bridge (this should auto-populate)
    • Contact Email: Your email address (or the org admin’s)

5. Fill in the API (Enable OAuth Settings) as follows:

API (Enable OAuth Settings) screenshot
    • Enable OAuth Settings: checked
    • Callback URL: https://<your my domain>.my.salesforce.com/callback.html
    • Selected OAuth Scopes: Full access (full)
    • Require Secret for Web Server Flow: checked

6. Fill in the Web App Settings as follows:

Web App Settings screenshot
    • Start URL: https://<your bridge domain>.bridgeapp.com/learner/courses
    • Enable SAML: checked
    • Entity ID: http://bridgeapp.com
    • ACS URL: https://<your bridge domain>.bridgeapp.com/auth/saml/callback
    • Subject Type: Username
    • Name Id Format: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:unspecified
    • Issuer: keep the pre-populated value for now. You will change this after you configure Single Sign-On.
    • IdP Certificate: Default IdP Certificate

7. Fill in the Canvas App Settings as follows:

Canvas App Settings screenshot
    • Canvas: checked
    • Canvas App URL: https://<your bridge domain>.bridgeapp.com/learner/courses
    • Access Method: Signed Request (POST)
    • SAML Initiation Method: Identity Provider Initiated
    • Locations: Add all

8. All other sections and fields left blank. Click the Save button.

9. Additional Configuration
    1. Navigate to the Manage Connected Apps settings page (Setup > Manage Connected Apps)
    2. Find Instructure Bridge (or your name of choice) in the list and click on it.
    3. Click on the Edit Policies button

Instructure Bridge app screenshot

4. Update the Permitted Users field value if not already configured: "Admin approved users are pre-authorized"

Permitted Users screenshot

Update Remote Site Settings in Salesforce

1. Using Quick Find search bar, search for Remote Site Settings (Security > Remote Site Settings)

2. If "Instructure_Bridge" already exists, click Edit. Otherwise, click New Remote Site button.

Remote Site Settings screenshot

3. Fill in the Remote Site Edit fields as follows:

Remote Site Edit screenshot

Remote Site Name: Instructure_Bridge
    Remote Site URL: https://<your bridge domain>.bridgeapp.com
    Description: Using Bridge app to make API callouts

4. Then click the Save button.

Setup Salesforce Single Sign-On

Setup screenshot

2. Within the Quick Find search bar within the setup menu on the left, search for “Identity Provider” and click on the link under Identity

Identity Provider screenshot

3. If not enabled, click on the Enable Identity Provider button

Enable Identity Provider screenshot

4. Choose an existing certificate (or create a new certificate) from the list and click on the Save button

5. Go to Apps > Manage Connected Apps and click the Instructure Bridge app.

Manage Connected Apps screenshot

6. Scroll down to the SAML Login Information section. For the fields labeled IdP-Initiated Login URL and Single Logout Endpoint, copy the values and paste them into a text file (or take a screenshot). Click the Download Metadata button and note the location of the downloaded metadata XML file.

SAML Login information screenshot

7. Provide all three of these (Metadata XML fileIdP-Initiated Login URL and Single Logout Endpoint) to your Implementation Consultant by email. The Implementation Consultant will configure SAML Single Sign-On in your Bridge instance and they will create an API Token with a key and secret. You will be able to continue to the next step once you receive the API Key and API Secret.

8. Do not proceed until your Implementation Consultant has sent you the API Key and API Secret.

Resume Here: Configure Instructure Bridge App 

1. Click the App Launcher icon and then click the Instructure Bridge app

App Launcher screenshot

2. Navigate to the Bridge Settings tab within the Instructure Bridge App. Within the General Settings tab, in the Authentication section, provide the following details:

Bridge Settings tab screenshot
    • Connected App Name: Instructure_Bridge (use the API name of the Connected App you created above. This will be the name w/o spaces and w/ underscores)
    • Bridge Subdomain: https://<your bridge domain>.bridgeapp.com/
    • API Key: Key provided to you from your Implementation Consultant
    • API Secret: Secret provided to you from your Implementation Consultant
    • Click on the Save button at the bottom of the screen

3. Select a log level. The Bridge App includes its own Bridge Logs object in which details about the transactions made between your Salesforce org and the Bridge API are stored. There are two levels of Logging:
    1. Error: Only creates/stores log records when an issue is encountered
    2. Debug: Creates a log record whenever a transaction is made. This is typically used for troubleshooting purposes.

Debug screenshot

4. Configure Max Number of Logs to Retain. Since the app creates its own Bridge Log records, it’s important to specify a maximum number of records that can exist as to not consume your org’s record storage limits.

5. If your settings are not correct you might see the following error when you click Save. If you do, go back and make sure your remote site settings were updated correctly.Error screenshot
  6. It’s possible that you have custom fields configured within your Bridge account. You will want to sync custom fields to make sure you can run reports that are based on parameters in Bridge like department, team, or other custom fields you’ve implemented. Scroll down to Field Mappings and click the Sync Fields button. You will see a message at the top of the screen which reads Field Sync Started. At this point, you can either manually start a sync job to pull in your Bridge Users, Courses, and Enrollments by click on the Import Now button under the Import section. You can also configure a recurring sync by specifying a Daily Sync Time and clicking on the Save button.

Granting user permissions

Setup screenshot

2. Within the Quick Find search bar within the setup menu on the left, search for “Permission Sets” and click on the link under Identity. Click the title Bridge LMS User Fields

Permission Sets screenshot

3. Click Assigned Connected Apps

Assign Connected Apps screenshot

4. Click Edit and move Instructure Bridge to Enabled Connected App. Then click the Save button. 

Enable Connected App screenshot

5. Click Manage Assignments. Then click Add Assignments. Mark all of users that should be added the click the Assign button

Set user permissions screenshot

Final Checks

1.  Go to Setup > Identity > Identity Provider. In the Identity Provider, find the Issuer and copy the web address.

2. Within the Quick Find search bar within the setup menu on the left, search for App Manager and click on the link under Apps
    App Manager screenshot

3. Find the Instructure Bridge app with "Connected" in the App Type column and click the dropdown icon then click Edit.

4. Scroll down to the Web App Settings and find the Issuer field. Delete the existing value and paste in the new address for the Issuer. Then scroll down and click the Save button.

1 person found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes