You can use a CSV file to add or update learners to your account and assign managers. When you add new learners to your account, they are immediately sent an email notification to set up an account. Learn how users set up an account in Bridge.
- Some features may be restricted based on permissions for your user role.
- The manager role is automatically created and permissions for the role cannot be modified.
- If using automatic CSV, you will not be able to add or remove learners on the Users page.
- All new data will replace existing Bridge data.
- When updating learner information via CSV, you will need to assign the Login ID key to the column matching the unique identifier (UID).
- The ability to set learner passwords is a setting that must be enabled for your account. Please contact your Customer Success Manager for assistance.
View Example CSV File
You can create as many columns for your learners as you'd like to include for their account information. You do not have to include column headings directly in your CSV file.
Default column options in Bridge include:
- Full Name (First Last)
- Full Name (Last, First)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Hire Date (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Job Title
One CSV column is required as the unique identifier, which defines all account information per Bridge learner. Please verify information before importing. If assigning managers, you must include an additional column for the manager unique identifier.
If specific fields in your CSV file do not use any of the default Bridge heading options, you can create your own custom fields for those columns. Any custom fields you create will always be included in your account as CSV file import options.
- To add or edit user roles using a CSV upload, the CSV file column header and Bridge custom field label must both be named Roles. In the CSV Roles column, the cells that contain a user's roles must be formatted with pipe symbols between multiple roles. For example, if a user is an account admin, an IT admin, and an author, the cell would need to be formatted as: "Account Admin|IT Admin|Author".
- All dates must include a day, month, and year. Bridge will interpret dates in United States formatting, in which the month appears before the day (e.g. 12/31/2018, not 31/12/2018). You can also include an optional time of day in date fields (e.g. 12/31/2018 12:00).
- Role names must be capitalized to import correctly into Bridge.
Open Application Switcher Menu
In the Global Navigation menu, click the Application Switcher icon . Then, click the Admin menu option .
Add/Update Learners & Assign Managers
Drag and drop the CSV file onto the page. You can also browse or choose a file on your computer.
Ignore CSV Column Headers
If your CSV file contains column headers, click the This file has column headers checkbox so that Bridge will ignore the first line of your file.
Note: The CSV import page will only allow you to preview 5 rows of data.
Assign Login ID
Drag the Login ID key to the column containing the unique identifier (UID), which could be a learner's name, employee ID, or email address. A unique identifier defines all account information per Bridge learner.
Note: If updating learner information, you will need to drag the Login ID key to the column matching the unique identifier.
Assign Manager ID
This step is optional. If you are assigning managers, drag the Manager ID key  to the column containing the manager's unique identifier (UID). If you are not assigning managers, click the Next button  to skip this step.
- The manager UID must either already exist in Bridge or be added during the import.
- When a learner gets reassigned to a new manager, Bridge will automatically update the learner's course and smart group enrollments. Any courses the learner has not started will be removed and any courses in progress will be made optional.
To remove a manager from a learner, use the Add via CSV option to import a CSV file where the manager UID column for the managed learner is blank. The previously managed learner will no longer have a manager assigned to them.
Note: Do not use the Remove via CSV option as that will completely remove the manager from Bridge. If a manager is completely removed from Bridge, the manager's smart group will be archived and listed as "[name]'s Learners (archived)" on the Groups page if there are current course enrollments.
Add Other Data Fields
Match the Bridge format boxes with the columns in your CSV file. Drag and drop the appropriate format box to each column.
The following codes can be used to choose the language setting for learners on an individual basis. Bridge notification emails and the Bridge user interface will be shown in the chosen language.
- Czech: cs
- German: de
- English (US): en
- English (Australia): en-AU
- English (UK): en-GB
- Spanish: es
- Estonian: et
- French: fr
- French Canadian: fr-CA
- Italian: it
- Lithuanian: lt
- Latvian: lv
- Dutch: nl
- Polish: pl
- Brazilian Portuguese: pt-BR
- Russian: ru
- Turkish: tr
- Chinese: zh
- Korean: ko
- Japanese: ja
Note: Setting a language for a learner will not translate course content.
Create Custom Field
To create a custom field as a format box for your CSV file, click the New Field box. Enter the name of your custom field and click the Enter/Return key. You can then drag and drop the custom format box to the appropriate column.
Any custom fields you create will always be included in your account as CSV file import options.
Delete Custom Field
To delete a custom field, locate the field and click the Remove icon.
Note: Custom fields used in a smart group cannot be deleted.
When you are finished formatting your CSV file, click the Finish button.
Bridge will confirm your CSV import and display the status of your import.
If there are any errors with your import, you will receive an email notification.
Click the Confirm button.
Note: If you make updates to learners who already exist in Bridge, "[X] existing learners will be modified" will display in the confirmation message.