Practice can be integrated into your Canvas environment using LTI. You can integrate Practice at the content module level and create individual integrations. Before you go through the steps to add Practice as an external tool, make sure you reach out to your Practice Client Success Manager to obtain your key and secret. You need these to complete the steps below.
- Your browser must accept third-party cookies for LTI to work. You can usually change this setting in your browser's security options.
- Users that access Practice through an LTI integration will not receive email notifications from Practice.
Creating your Practice App with a Manual Configuration
- Log into your Canvas course and select Settings in the left sidebar menu. In the Settings window, select the Apps tab.
- Select the "View App Configurations" button
- Select "+App"
To set up the Practice app, use the following information:
- Configuration Type: Manual Entry
- Name: Practice
- Consumer Key: Specific to your Org
- Consumer Secret: Specific to your Org
- Launch Url: "https://app.practice.xyz/lti/launch"
- Privacy: Public
It is very important that the Privacy setting is designated as Public, or the LTI integration will not work.
Once the above information is added and the Practice app is created, you are now ready to add the Practice app as an external tool to your Canvas Module.
Adding a Practice Link as an Assignment in a Canvas Course
One way to add Practice to your course is in a Canvas Assignment. Once you have Practice added as an external tool to Canvas using the steps above, here is how you can put an external tool link to Practice in a Canvas Assignment.
- Select the Assignments tab
- Select "+ Assignment"
- Fill out the details of the assignment type, including the point value for the assignment
- Under "Submission Type" select "External Tool"
- Select the "Find" button, and select the Practice app you created earlier
- Select Save or Save & Publish
Once you are redirected back to the content area, you should see a link to Practice. You and your Learners can use this link to access Practice. Selecting this link will behave differently depending on your role in the course and whether or not you already have a Practice account. When a Learner launches Practice from this link they will be prompted to log in or sign up. Once they do so, they will automatically be added as a member of your course's Practice Group, and redirected to the specific Practice Exercise you indicate.
After creating a Practice link, you must determine what content this links to using the LTI Linker.