All users added to Bridge are given the employee role by default. Account admins can assign and modify user roles for users from the Users page manually or by using a CSV file. Account admins can also create a custom role to assign to users.
• Some features may be restricted based on permissions for your user role.
• The manager role is automatically created and cannot be manually assigned.
• You must add a user as a employee before you can assign any roles.
• Users can be assigned more than one role; however, adding a user to additional roles will expand the permissions of that user, not restrict. Managers can also have an admin or account admin role that allows for additional permissions.
• To successfully assign or modify user roles with a CSV file, your CSV file must have a Roles column.
Learn more about roles and permissions in Bridge.
Open Admin Menu
In the Global Navigation menu, click the Admin icon. Then, click the Users & Permissions menu option.
In the Users & Permissions menu, select Manage Users.
Note: The Global Navigation menu may differ depending on what is enabled in your account.
Click the checkbox next to the role you want to assign to the user. Click the Save button when you're done.
Note: The manager role is automatically created and cannot be manually assigned.
To change a user's role, click the role checkbox  next to the role you want to assign to the user.
To remove a user's role, uncheck the checkbox  next to the role you want to remove.
Click the Save button  when you're done.
Assign and Modify Roles Using CSV
To assign and modify roles for existing users using a CSV file upload, click the Add via CSV link.
Upload CSV File
Drag and drop the formatted CSV file onto the page. You can also browse or choose a file on your computer.
- To successfully assign or modify user roles with a CSV file, your CSV file must have a Roles column.
- The CSV file column header must be named Roles.
- In the CSV Roles column, the cells that contain a user's roles must be formatted with pipe symbols between multiple roles. For example, if a user is an account admin, an IT admin, and an author, the cell would need to be formatted as: "account admin|IT admin|author".
Ignore CSV Column Headers
If your CSV file contains column headers, click the This file has column headers checkbox so that Bridge will ignore the first line of your file.
- The CSV import page will only allow you to preview 5 rows of data.
- If you cannot see a specific column, scroll horizontally to view additional columns.
Assign User and Manager IDs
Drag the Login ID key to the column containing the unique identifier (UID), which could be a user's name, employee ID, or email address. A unique identifier defines all account information per Bridge user.
- If updating user information, you will need to drag the Login ID key to the column matching the unique identifier.
- You will encounter an error if you attempt to upload a CSV file that contains duplicate Login IDs. You will need to remove any duplicates from the original CSV file and upload the file again.
You can also assign managers to users. This step is optional. If you are assigning managers, drag the Manager ID key  to the column containing the manager's unique identifier (UID). If you are not assigning managers, click the Next button  to skip this step.
- The manager UID must either already exist in Bridge or be added during the import.
- When a user gets reassigned to a new manager, Bridge will automatically update the user's course and smart group enrollments. Any courses the user has not started will be removed and any courses in progress will be made optional.
Add Other Data Fields
Match the Bridge format boxes with the columns in your CSV file. Drag and drop the appropriate format box to each column.
Create Roles Field
To create a custom field for roles as a format box for your CSV file, click the New Field box. Enter the word Roles and click the Enter/Return key.
- Any custom fields you create will always be included in your account as CSV file import options.
- To add or edit user roles using a CSV upload, the Bridge custom field must be named Roles.
When you are finished formatting your CSV file, click the Finish button.
Bridge will confirm your CSV import and display the status of your import.
If there are any errors with your import, you will receive an email notification.
Click the Confirm button.
Note: If you make updates to users who already exist in Bridge, "[X] existing learners will be modified" will display in the confirmation message.