How do I set up a Practice LTI integration in my Canvas environment? Follow
Practice can be integrated into your Canvas environment using LTI. You can integrate Practice at the content module level and create individual integrations. Before you go through the steps to add Practice as an external tool, make sure you reach out to your Practice Client Success Manager to obtain your key and secret. You need these to complete the steps below.
• Your browser must accept third-party cookies for LTI to work. You can usually change this setting in your browser's security options.
• Users that access Practice through an LTI integration will not receive email notifications from Practice.
Creating your Practice App with a Manual Configuration
- Log into your Canvas course and select Settings in the left sidebar menu. In the Settings window, select the Apps tab.
- Select the "View App Configurations" button
- Select "+App"
To set up the Practice app, use the following information:
- Configuration Type: Manual Entry
- Name: Practice
- Consumer Key: Specific to your Org
- Consumer Secret: Specific to your Org
- Launch Url: "https://app.practice.xyz/lti/launch"
- Privacy: Public
It is very important that the Privacy setting is designated as Public, or the LTI integration will not work.
Once the above information is added and the Practice app is created, you are now ready to add the Practice app as an external tool to your Canvas Module.
Adding a Practice Link as an Assignment in a Canvas Course
After adding Practice as an external tool in Canvas, you can link a Practice exercise to a Canvas assignment.
- Click the Assignments tab.
- Click the Add Assignment button.
- Enter the details of the assignment.
- In the Submission Type drop-down menu, click the External Tool option.
- In the Submission Type box, click the Find button.
- In the External Tool window, click the Practice option and then click the Select button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Create New Assignment page and click the Save or Save & Publish button.
- After creating the Practice link in Canvas, use the LTI Linker to direct this link to a specific Practice exercise.
After you save your new Canvas assignment, a link to Practice will display in the Assignment Preview page. Canvas teachers and students can use this link to access Practice. Clicking this link will generate different Practice pages depending on a user's role in the Canvas course.
When a Canvas student clicks this link, they will be prompted to log into or sign up for Practice. Once the student is logged in to Practice, they will automatically inherit the Practice member role. The student will also be redirected to the specific Practice exercise you linked to the Canvas assignment.
When a Canvas teacher clicks this link, they will also be prompted to log into or sign up for Practice. Once the teacher is logged in to Practice, they will automatically inherit the Practice coordinator role. The teacher will also be redirected to the specific Practice exercise you linked to the Canvas assignment.
Note: Canvas admins cannot access their Practice account through a Canvas LTI link unless they are assigned the Canvas teacher role in addition to their Canvas admin role. If Canvas admins are not assigned any additional Canvas roles, they can still log into their Practice account from the Practice Login page.
Please sign in to leave a comment.