You can upload a CSV file to assign or update the roles including custom roles of your users.
Bridge has five default user roles: learner, author, admin, IT admin, and account admin. All users added to Bridge are given the learner role by default. In addition to the default user roles, a Bridge user can be assigned as a manager of a learner or group of learners. The manager role is optional and can only be created by using a CSV import.
To update roles with a CSV file, you will create a CSV file with a column containing the role or roles you want each user to have. Multiple roles can be assigned and should be separated by a pipe "|" character. See the attached roles_sample.csv file and screenshots for clarification.
- Be familiar with uploading a user CSV. If not, please review How do I add or update learners to my account with a CSV file?
- Understand how custom roles are created and assigned to users.
- Be familiar with the five default user roles.
Create a CSV File with the Roles field
Create a CSV file that contains the roles for each user. The roles are case-sensitive. Multiple roles should be separated by a "|" pipe character. Do not include spaces between the role and the pipe character. The order of the roles doesn't matter, so Account Admin|Admin will produce the same results as Admin|Account Admin. In the example below, "Manager Enroll" is a custom role, which is different from the Manager role created by CSV upload.
Potential Pitfall: if the cell is blank, users that are currently admins will lose their previous permissions. To avoid this, make sure that all admins have the correct roles in the CSV file.
Upload the CSV file
- In the Global Navigation menu, click the Admin icon. Then, click the Users & Permissions menu option.
- Click Add Users Via CSV
- Drag and drop the CSV created in step 1 into the upload box
Create the ROLES field in Bridge and attach it to the appropriate column
- Create a new Bridge attribute pill called ROLES by clicking the NEW FIELD button.
- Drag the new ROLES pill to the column with the appropriate values
- Click Finish to finish uploading the CSV.
Confirm the upload
- Go to Manage Users in the Admin menu and verify that the user's roles have been added/updated.
- Find a user from the CSV that should have a new role and click Modify Roles.The user's role(s) should now be checked.