We're here to help

Skills feedback

Comments

3 comments

Amy Skyles

Hi Kinga,

That's a great question. We've done a couple of things to help, but the solutions are still not perfect.

1. We tagged all of the skilled we "endorse" as a company with "BSI" (for Brewer Science, Inc.). This allows employees to search "BSI" and see a list of skills that will have descriptors with them. The requester still can't see the descriptors so head on to #2 for how we addressed that.

2. We have an internal communication site for our HR team. We post everything HR related to that site. One the L&D page for Bridge Perform, we embedded a spreadsheet that has each of the "BSI" skills along with their descriptors. Ours include all of those that Bridge originally created plus some additional ones that we made and added descriptors to. We did have some issues changing the name of one of the Bridge-created skills because someone had already used it. We just duplicated that one and added BSI and guided people to use the BSI one instead.

3. Each month, we take our list of "BSI" skills and upload them to each job title on the back-end in Bridge. This way, when an employee initiates a new feedback request, the BSI skills are all already listed on the initiation page and it reduces the chances that they will select one with no descriptors. 

All that said, I agree that there needs to be more admin control. I also think that the "interests" that people put on their profile pages should absolutely not show up as skills. Mine says "puppies!" and I really don't think I should be assessed on my puppies at work, but it's now an option for everyone in our system. :) 

Comment actions Permalink
    Kinga Gołębiowska

Hi Amy, 

thanks for your reply. 

We tried tagging the skills with a code that would help identify the once we endorse. And it could work for a limited number of soft skills that are unified across organisation, but we are still struggling with dozens of technical skills that are more department specific. 

Are your users ok with the assessing others on a scale without the description of each level? ours are very hesitant as they are not sure how to distinguish between levels to make sure they chose the correct one. 

Amy Skyles

Kinga,

We have worked with subject-matter experts on the more technical skills. We also polled all of the directors and managers at a monthly meeting to see which skills might be most useful in their individual areas. We weren't able to follow up as we had intended, but the plan is to eventually work with them to get a list of core skills for department/group that they will each use and we will utilize their expertise to create the descriptors for them. This way we will have the more technical skills with descriptors included, but we don't have to try to guess what they are or how to describe them.

Best,

Amy

Please sign in to leave a comment.