Show Bridge Studio media menu bar after embed, even if comments are turned off

Idea created by Zoe Fisher on Aug 22, 2019
    Open for Voting
    Score2
    • Adam Arthur
    • Scott Blackwood

Originally this idea was to allow Bridge Authors to add captions to courses. Good news: they can! After many rounds of testing, though, I discovered that the Bridge Studio media menu bar (Details, Insights, Comments, Captions) is only visible to Authors if they enable comments on the video. This creates extra steps if you ultimately don't plan to use comments, and you want to do something like embed a video and edit captions without enabling comments.

Right now the process looks like this:

1. Embed the Bridge Studio media with comments enabled

2. Make edits to captions, save

3. Delete the embedded video

4. Re-embed the Bridge Studio media with comments disabled

I recommend that that Bridge Studio menu bar is persistently visible, even if comments are disabled. Obviously you can also edit captions by going into Bridge Studio directly but I think the option to change captions should be available through the course editor, even if comments are turned off.

What does this issue look like?

Here are some screenshots to illustration the issue with the menu bar visibility.

Bridge Studio media embed with comments disabled (menu bar not visible)

This screenshot shows that if you embed Bridge Studio media with comments disabled, you don't see the menu bar below the video with Details, Insights, Comments, and Captions.

Bridge Studio media embed with comments enabled (menu bar visible)

This image shows that if you embed Bridge Studio media with comments enabled, you get the full menu bar with Details, Insights, Comments, and Captions.