I learned a cool trick today that I thought I'd share with the community. I learned how to easily enroll a smart group, but only in its current state rather than allowing it to enroll people that will be automatically added to the smart group in the future.
This comes in handy when you need to enroll a group of current users that is easily created using smart group settings, but kind of a pain to create using a CSV export of users. For example, let's say you want to enroll everyone with the job title Support Specialist, everyone in the IT department, AND all managers of other people. There might be awkward overlap with those groups that make creating the list of people time consuming. We can do it way faster with a smart group and the following instructions:
1. Create a smart group with all the rules that will get the right people on the list.
2. In the Groups tab for a course, enroll a smart group.
3. When the enrollment is finished processing, go to the Learners tab and select Export Enrollments.
4. Save the exported CSV somewhere you can find it easily.
5. On the Learners tab for the course, select Add via CSV.
6. Select the CSV you just downloaded.
7. Put the key on the unique identifier column.
8. Select Finish.
9. After that runs, go back to the Groups tab for the course and click the X to remove the group.
This will remove the smart group enrollment which will prevent the enrollment of future people that get automatically added to the group, but because you uploaded the CSV as a manual enrollment, all of the current enrollees will remain. Additionally, doing this will not send the learners a second notification. It looks the same to them as a manual enrollment would. Pretty slick and so handy.
Let me know if you have any questions about that.